Sunday, February 21, 2010

Graduate School aka 3 a.m. panic attacks

"Assurance" from the series Love and Loss. Digital photograph, 11 x 14". 2009

For the better part of the last 4 or 5 years, I've been kicking around the idea of graduate school. Should I go? Or should I not go? Maybe I'll work for a while and then go back to school? What do I even want to do with my life? And so on, and so forth...

So last January when I finally decided that, "Yes. I do indeed want to do this." I had inadvertently missed most of the application deadlines. So I had to wait until next year to apply. (or this year. Depending how you look at it.) So I began getting myself ready. Editing photos. Writing. Researching schools and programs and grants and financial aid and stalking facebook friends that I've made at S.P.E. conferences and asking their thoughts on their schools particular programs. And I was almost ready by the time deadlines began to lurk around the corner... And then it happened. The great computer crash of 2009. My poor 6 year old MacBook Pro (which has always ran rather hot) began running very hot and started smoking... The hard drive was no more...

Deadlines were right around the corner, and I had lost everything... FML... It was hard. But I went down to the university and used their computer labs and busted my ass and redid it all.

I wanted to apply to at least 5 schools. And I ended up applying to 8 total. Hopefully one of them will decide that I am indeed worthy and will pick me. And maybe offer me a teaching assistantship and/or stipend!

Here's to keeping my fingers crossed... (And to hoping that I don't scare anyone away by talking about this!)

No comments: